Transfer Center

join Our Email List

The Western Sun - The Newspaper of Golden West College

Associate Degree for Transfer
Associate Degree for Transfer

Salary Surfer
Salary Surfer

Search jobs posted at our school!

Free Newsletter - Student Health 101

What is a General Education?

General Education is a series of coursework in the arts and sciences that provides students with a broad educational experience. Courses typically are introductory in nature and provide students with fundamental skills and knowledge in mathematics, English, arts, humanities, and physical, biological, and social sciences. Transfer students take these classes while attending a community college. Completion of a general education program is required for the baccalaureate degree.

Major Courses ONLY. Number of units required
varies. A series of special major courses, all related to a particular occupational skill. Offered by community colleges and private educational organizations. This course of study can be helpful in obtaining or upgrading employment.

Associate Degree
Major Courses plus general education courses and electives, 60 units required. Usually referred to

Bachelor’s degree plus graduate courses in a
specialized area. Bachelor’s degree plus 36- 56 units depending on major. Usually referred to as MS (Master of Science) or MA (Master of Arts) degree. This degree normally requires two additional years of full-time study after completion of bachelor’s degree.

Doctorate Degree
Advanced training beyond a bachelor’s or master’s

The Bachelor of Arts Degree

Golden West College
Min. units 60 - Max. units 70

• Catalog and Reference
Library - catalogs and resources to use, including free
pamphlets, flyers and brochures.

• Computers for career

– sign up in the Transfer

Take advantage of this great opportunity to check out different campus environments to help you in choose the university that is right for you.

continued on page 3

as an AA (Associate of Arts) or an AS (Associate of
Science) degree. Normally requires 2 years of full time study but may take longer.

Bachelor’s Degree
Major Courses plus general education and electives,
120- 132 total units required. Usually referred to as a BA (bachelor of arts) or BS (bachelor of science) degree. Normally requires 4-5 years of full-time study. Students may complete the Freshman and Sophomore years (lower division) at a community college and then transfer to a 4-year university for Junior and Senior (upper division) courses.

degree. Units vary, depending on field of study.
Usually referred to as Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) or Doctor of Education (Ed.D.). Normally requires three to five additional years of full-time work after completion of Master’s Degree.

Professional Degree

Professional degrees are advanced degrees in fields like dentistry, ministry, law, medicine, pharmacy, and veterinary medicine. These degrees are earned after