Transfer Center

join Our Email List

The Western Sun - The Newspaper of Golden West College

Associate Degree for Transfer
Associate Degree for Transfer

Salary Surfer
Salary Surfer

Search jobs posted at our school!

Free Newsletter - Student Health 101

General Education Certification

Certification is an indication of the completion of the entire pattern of general education for the California State University (CSU General Education Breadth) and/or University of California campuses (Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum “IGETC”). This is often notated on the transcript, or can be included with the transcript as a “Certification Form”.  Students must request certification on their transcript. Certification allows students to satisfy their lower-division general education requirements by following the approved community college curriculum rather than the university’s lower-division general education pattern. Students must still complete upper division general education and campus-specific degree coursework after transfer.

Major Courses ONLY. Number of units required
varies. A series of special major courses, all related to a particular occupational skill. Offered by community colleges and private educational organizations. This course of study can be helpful in obtaining or upgrading employment.

Associate Degree
Major Courses plus general education courses and electives, 60 units required. Usually referred to

Bachelor’s degree plus graduate courses in a
specialized area. Bachelor’s degree plus 36- 56 units depending on major. Usually referred to as MS (Master of Science) or MA (Master of Arts) degree. This degree normally requires two additional years of full-time study after completion of bachelor’s degree.

Doctorate Degree
Advanced training beyond a bachelor’s or master’s

The Bachelor of Arts Degree

Golden West College
Min. units 60 - Max. units 70

• Catalog and Reference
Library - catalogs and resources to use, including free
pamphlets, flyers and brochures.

• Computers for career

– sign up in the Transfer

Take advantage of this great opportunity to check out different campus environments to help you in choose the university that is right for you.

continued on page 3

as an AA (Associate of Arts) or an AS (Associate of
Science) degree. Normally requires 2 years of full time study but may take longer.

Bachelor’s Degree
Major Courses plus general education and electives,
120- 132 total units required. Usually referred to as a BA (bachelor of arts) or BS (bachelor of science) degree. Normally requires 4-5 years of full-time study. Students may complete the Freshman and Sophomore years (lower division) at a community college and then transfer to a 4-year university for Junior and Senior (upper division) courses.

degree. Units vary, depending on field of study.
Usually referred to as Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) or Doctor of Education (Ed.D.). Normally requires three to five additional years of full-time work after completion of Master’s Degree.

Professional Degree

Professional degrees are advanced degrees in fields like dentistry, ministry, law, medicine, pharmacy, and veterinary medicine. These degrees are earned after